TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - There is Swaincoat, then there is everything else
People Seeking Info

Subject There is Swaincoat, then there is everything else

Posted by LJZTT on August 26, 2023 at 5:51 PM
  This message has been viewed 162 times.

In Reply To Jet Hot: C. Coating / MSP, DP’s, heat shield & turbos posted by Mike@ZSpeed on August 22, 2023 at 12:11 PM

Message I did ceramic thermal barrier coating for MSP manifolds, turbine housings, even the stock heatshields just to try and protect the new harnesses and everything else under the hood. Then left the rest of the exhaust without coating. The THEORY was the retained heat upstream of the turbos would assist in speeding up spool-up as much as possible (along with 9.5:1 pistons).

And while that the theory may have proven true to some extent or another, the trade-off was that now there was a very noticeable amount of heat coming up from under the car as a result from all that heat being retained further downstream (plus hi-flow cats absorbing it and likely glowing hot under there).
It was so much heat that you could actually feel it coming up the side of the driver door as high as the windows. It was enough to overpower the air-conditioning in traffic in the humid Florida summer. This was on E85.

So that was no bueno. I ended up having to coat the downpipes, and mid-pipes and left the H-pipe and axle-backs uncoated. That put things in the cabin back into balance enough that the AC could actually win the battle. So keep that in mind, the heat has to go somewhere. Depending on your driving conditions, power output, etc...you may not be able to get away with only coating the manifolds and turbines...I couldn't

I did not get any data, this was all by driving experience. The main motivation was to preserve rubbers and plastics under the hood the spool-up assistance was just a cherry on top IMO.

All these ceramic coatings are basically specialized paint. Swaincoat is not the same, and seems to be more effective, but I have no experience with it at the moment.

35 years ago...or now?

"If there's a new way, I'll be the first in line.....but it better work this time."

"I torch my soul to show the world that I am pure deep inside my heart...."
--William Patrick Corgan

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.